Total Pageviews

Introduction To Our Blog

Banning Nuclear Weapons

The reason we chose this topic is that we believe political conflicts should be resolved through rational discussion, not the threat of mass...

Thursday, June 11, 2026

The Perspective of a "Hibakusha"


Kuwabara Kimiko. 


I was 17 years old, living in Hiroshima at the time of the bombing. I was working at the Hiroshima Central Broadcast Station in the General Affairs Section. I remember a coworker shouting, "There's a B-29 flying there!" and then a sudden flash. I was red, like a match striking, but so intense it was blinding. At the time, I didn't notice it, but the blast had shattered the windows into tiny fragments, embedding glass into my face and arm, leaving me covered in blood. When I came to, it was pitch black. Trying to survive, I grabbed the belt of a man I had bumped into in the dark and followed him. When we finally made it to the exit, I saw people with their faces covered in blood and something black; we couldn't recognize each other unless we spoke to each other.


















 

The National Peace Memorial Halls for the atomic bomb victims in Hiroshima and Nagasaki Global Network

(n.d.-b). https://www.global-peace.go.jp/en/taikenki/en_taikenki_syousai.php?gbID=152&dt=260617003223

By Sakura

By


B

1 comment:

  1. I found this perspective very moving and powerful. Reading a firsthand account from a hibakusha helped me understand the human impact of the atomic bombing beyond what history books can explain. I especially appreciated that you used the testimony of a real survivor, which made the post feel authentic and meaningful.

    One suggestion would be to include a short explanation of how this experience influenced the survivor’s life after the war or their views on peace. I think this would help readers connect the historical event to its lasting impact.

    Overall, this was a respectful and informative post. It reminded me why it is so important to preserve survivors’ stories and continue learning from them to promote peace.

    ReplyDelete